If you missed the first Storyboard show at Geek & Sundry, you can still catch it on YouTube. The show was hosted by fantasy author Pat Rothfuss and featured a discussion about urban fantasy with a few of the genre’s top authors: Jim Butcher, Emma Bull and Diana Rowland.
Here’s a quick recap of things they discussed:
– The definition of urban fantasy
– Where these authors get their ideas
– The depth of worldbuilding involved in creating an urban fantasy versus creating an epic/traditional fantasy
– Sex in urban fantasy – Is it a requirement of the genre? Do the authors feel pressure to put sex scenes in their books? Is sex part of character building?
– Is urban fantasy the modern equivalent of fairy tales or myths?
– Writing tips from the authors
– And reading recommendations. (You can skip to the list of recommendations in the dooblydoo of the video.)